Grants and benefits available for help with energy bills

There are a range of schemes and assistance available for those struggling to pay their energy bills or dealing with energy bill debt. 

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 25 September 1957 you can usually receive a Winter Fuel Payment of between £250 and £600. This is a one-off, annual payment to assist with winter heating costs. Most people will receive the Winter Fuel Payment automatically if they are eligible, but if you do not receive a letter and think you are eligible you can check to see whether you can make a claim

Recipients will also receive a 'Pensioner Cost of Living Payment' of between £150 and £300, which will be paid in winter 2023/24. This is in addition to other Cost of Living payments you might be eligible for.

Cold Weather Payments

You may be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment to help with extra heating costs when the temperature drops below a certain temperature if you already receive one or mroe of the following:

  • Pension Credit

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Universal Credit

  • Support for mortgage interest

The payment will be paid if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees or below for 7 or more consecutive days.

You will not need to apply, if you are eligible the payment will be automatically paid to you. For more details click here. 

Warm Home Discount Scheme

This is a one-off £150 discount on your electricity bill, which will take place between October 2023 and March 2024. You will get the discount automatically after receiving a letter. If you don't get a letter but believe you are eligible, you must contact the Warm Home Discount Scheme before 29 February 2024

Fuel vouchers

If you use a prepayment meter, you may be able to get a voucher or temporary credit. A fuel voucher is a code provided in a letter, text message, or email. You can use it to add credit to your gas card or electricity key - your local council may be able to help you secure a voucher or you can contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for further information and guidance. 

Fuel vouchers can be used at:

If you don’t use gas or electricity 

You might be able to get a fuel voucher if you rely on oil, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), coal or wood as your main source of heating or if you are not on the gas grid. You’ll need to demonstrate you are unable to afford to heat your home. You should contact your local Citizen’s Advice centre to help you apply for a voucher in this instance.  

Extra help from energy suppliers

You can sign up for the Priority Services Register if you've reached state pension age, you're disabled, or if your energy network considers the bill payer vulnerable. Energy suppliers will then help with meter readings, charges and providing bills to carers or other family members.

Help with energy bill debts 

If you need help paying a high energy bill, or with energy bill debts, there are places you can turn to for support. Take a look at the National Debtline website, which has advice on how to approach energy bill debt. If you need time to seek debt advice or find a solution, you can apply for something called 'breathing space' - this prevents most types of enforcement and creditors from applying interest and charges to your current debts for a period of 60 days. 

Find out more and apply for breathing space here.

Register or amend your preferences for your choice of email alerts

Keep up to date with our latest news, product and event details

You can check the Financial Services register on the FCA's website.


How can we help you?

01635 555700

Call me back