You should read this product information carefully in conjunction with our Savings Terms and Conditions and ID for customers to ensure you understand the features and conditions of what you are buying. Our savings accounts are only available to UK residents. We recommend you contact your local branch to make an appointment before delivering your completed application form.
- Account name
- Existing member account
- What is the interest rate?
Interest rate bandInterest rate£1+1.75%
- Interest is variable and calculated daily and paid annually on 31 October into the account, to another Newbury Building Society account or your bank account.
- Can Newbury Building Society change the interest rate?
- The rate can be changed in accordance with our Savings terms and conditions. These can be accessed in branch and online at www.newbury.co.uk.
- You will be notified of any material downward rate change by letter or secure message.
- What would the estimated balance be after 12 months based on a £1,000 deposit?
Interest rate bandEstimated balance
- This estimation is for illustrative purposes only and does not reflect individual circumstances.
- How do I open and manage my account?
- One account per customer, to be held by an investor in his or her sole name. Joint accounts are not allowed.
- Available to existing members of at least one year.
- The minimum opening balance is £50.
- The minimum operating balance is £1.
- The maximum balance is £1,000,000.
- The maximum deposit is £2,000 per tax year (6 April to 5 April).
- This account can be opened and operated in branch, via the post or online.
- To open or operate this account online the minimum age is 18 years.
- Can I withdraw money?
- Up to £500 cash per day in branch.
- By cheque against cleared funds in branch or by post.
- By electronic payment in branch to your nominated account (up to £50,000).
- Via the myaccounts online service to your nominated account (up to £50,000).
- By CHAPS for electronic payments to your nominated account (over £50,000).
- Additional information
- Tax status - From 6 April 2016, HMRC introduced a Personal Savings Allowance for individuals and as a result interest on savings is paid gross of tax. Your tax treatment will depend on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future. For further information go to www.GOV.uk.
WE HAVE NO CURRENT PLANS TO WITHDRAW THIS PRODUCT BUT IT MAY BE WITHDRAWN WITHOUT NOTICE.
- We will require identification for all parties on a savings account, please see ID for customers for details.
- You can register with myaccounts, our online service, to view your accounts online, use secure messaging and request online withdrawals to our nominated account. Online withdrawal requests for sums up to £5,000 made between 9am and 5pm on business days (Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays), will be processed on the same day. Requests for sums over £5,000 and up to the maximum £50,000 made between 9am and 3pm on business days, will be processed the same day. Requests after 3pm will be processed on the next business day.
- Online withdrawal access is not available to accounts with a nominee or executor. These types of accounts can be opened and operated in branch.
- For more information regarding our online service, electronic payment and CHAPS service see our Savings terms and conditions.
- Once the full amount for the tax year has been invested into an EMA, additional deposits cannot be made regardless of withdrawals made during the tax year or the balance of the account. For example, if you invest £2,000 in an EMA on 15 November 2017 and then withdraw £500 on 24 January 2018, you will need to wait until the following tax year (6 April 2018) before you can add to your investment.
- EMA holders are entitled to a £100 cash bonus on top of normal mortgage benefits if they are an existing borrower taking out a new mortgage with us to move home or an investor moving home/remortgaging their main residence to us from another lender.
- There are no charges for the normal operation of this account. See our Savings terms and conditions for more information.
- Account holders will be issued with a Member Loyalty Card enabling discounts and special offers from local traders who participate in our scheme.
Gross rate is the contractual rate of interest payable before the deduction of income tax at the rate specified by law.
AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once a year.