You should read this products information carefully in conjunction with our Savings Terms and Conditions to ensure you understand the features and conditions of what you are buying and keep it for future reference. Our savings accounts are only available to UK residents.
- Account name
- Barry Bear
- What is the interest rate?
Interest rate bandInterest rate£1+2.50%
- Interest is variable and calculated daily and paid annually on 31 October into the account.
- Can Newbury Building Society change the interest rate?
- The rate can be changed in accordance with our Savings terms and conditions. These can be accessed in branch and online at www.newbury.co.uk.
- You will be notified of any material downward rate change by letter or secure message.
- What would the estimated balance be after 12 months based on a £1,000 deposit?
Interest rate bandEstimated balance
- This estimation is for illustrative purposes only and does not reflect individual circumstances.
- How do I open and manage my account?
- Available to those aged 7 and under, at the time of opening.
- Only one account per child.
- The minimum opening and operating balance is £1.
- The maximum balance is £3,000. (we will allow the addition of interest to exceed the maximum balance)
- Account must be opened in person, in one of our branches. It cannot be opened by post or online.
- This account must be opened and operated by an adult acting as nominee for the child.
- Once opened it can be operated in branch or by post.
- Account holders must be resident within our operating area as defined in 'Important notes'.
- Can I withdraw money?
- Withdrawals can be made:
- Up to £500 cash per day in branch.
- By cheque against cleared funds in branch or by post.
- Additional information
- Tax status - From 6 April 2016, HMRC introduced a Personal Savings Allowance for individuals and as a result interest on savings is paid gross of tax. Your tax treatment will depend on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future. For further information go to www.GOV.uk.
Gross rate is the contractual rate of interest payable before the deduction of income tax at the rate specified by law.
AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year.
WE HAVE NO CURRENT PLANS TO WITHDRAW THIS PRODUCT BUT IT MAY BE WITHDRAWN WITHOUT NOTICE.
- For new members, both nominee and child must be resident within the local operating area.
- Our local operating area is: AL, BA, BH,BN, BS, DT, EX, GL, GU, HA, HP, HR, KT, LU, MK, NN, OX, PO, RG, RH, SG, SL, SM, SN, SP, SO, TA, TW, UB, WD, WR. We accept savings applications from exisiting members regardless of their postcodes.
- If we suspect the funds in the account do not belong to the child, we reserve the right to close the account and send a cheque made payable to the child.
- The child is the sole beneficiary of this account and therefore withdrawals should be made for the benefit of the child. We may ask you to confirm the reason for the withdrawal.
- On the 10th birthday of the child, we will automatically transfer the money in the Barry Bear account to an easy access account available to children. We will write to you to confirm this and let you know of any further options available to you.
- Barry Bear account holders are members of the Society but do not hold voting rights until they are 18.
- There are no charges for the normal operation of this account. See our Savings terms and conditions for more information.
- Account holders will be issued with a Member Loyalty Card enabling discounts and special offers from local traders who participate in our scheme.
Apply online or complete the form and return to your local branch in person. You should also read Identification for customers and Savings Terms and Conditions to ensure you understand the features and conditions of what you are buying. We recommend you contact your local branch to make an appointment before coming in with your completed form.