Current Interest Rate
1.50% Tax free / AER
This rate is for balances from £50.We accept savings applications from new members in the following areas:
AL, BA, BH, BN, BS, DT, GL, GU, HA, HP, KT, MK, OX, PO, RG, RH, SL, SN, SP, SO, TW, UB, WD
We accept savings applications from existing members regardless of their postcode.
Additional informationType of ISA
Cash ISABranch access
A passbook is issued for all accounts, including those opened online. This enables you to use our branch deposit and withdrawal service.Online access
You can register with ‘myaccounts’
our online service to view your accounts online, use secure messaging and request online withdrawals to your nominated bank account. Online withdrawal access is not available to accounts with a Power of Attorney, Nominee or Executor. The minimum withdrawal online is £50.Minimum opening balance
£50Minimum operating balance
£50. If the balance falls below the minimum operating balance a nominal interest rate applies (see Current interest rates
for more details).
Available to those aged 16 years and over. You must be 18 to use the ‘myaccounts’ service.ISA transfers in
No. Transfers from existing Cash ISA’s, held with other providers, are not accepted into this account.ISA transfers out
Yes. Investors can transfer all or part of their ISA funds (subscriptions) between Newbury Building Society accounts or to/from another ISA provider. Please note that HMRC rules require that transfers of the current year’s subscriptions are made in full.
Please see the leaflet 'Transferring your cash ISA'
, for an overview of the typical process involved in transferring your ISA from one provider to another. Please note the process may vary between ISA providers.Annual ISA allowance
|Tax year||Cash ISA allowance ||Total ISA allowance (Cash ISA and Stocks and shares ISA) |
|6 April 2013 - 5 April 2014||Up to £5,760 ||Up to £11,520 |
If you register with ‘myaccounts’ you can request an online withdrawal to your nominated bank account. Online withdrawal requests received before 2pm on a business day will be processed that day and funds will be available in the destination account the following business day. Requests received after 2pm will be deemed to have been received on the following business day.
Not for the normal operation of the account (see our Savings terms and conditions
PDF for more details).Additional benefits
Similar productsNotice Cash ISA
- Annual savings review.
- Member Loyalty Card enabling discounts and special offers from local traders who participate in our scheme.
Suitable if you are aged 16 or over, are able to give 60 days’ notice before making a withdrawal and have not subscribed to a Cash ISA in the current tax year. Senior monthly Cash ISA
Suitable if you are aged 55 or over, require easy access to your savings and have not subscribed to a Cash ISA in the current tax year. Interest is paid monthly.Important information
Stakeholder products meet Government standards on charges, access and terms. Our ISA is not a stakeholder product because the minimum opening balance is more than £10. The ‘stakeholder’ label is designed to identify a range of straightforward savings products which are simple, clear and fair so that savers should feel confident about choosing them. However, just because an ISA meets the stakeholder standards does not mean that the ISA is appropriate for every saver, the performance of the ISA is guaranteed, or the ISA is government approved. Stakeholder products are not necessarily better.
- An ISA may only be held by an investor in his or her sole name. Joint accounts are not allowed. You must be at least 16 years of age to invest in a Cash ISA.
- You can save in a Cash ISA with one provider per tax year (6 April to 5 April). Subscriptions to Cash ISAs count towards the total annual ISA allowance. The remainder of the annual ISA allowance can be invested in a Stocks and Shares ISA with either the same or another provider. Alternatively, the full ISA allowance can be invested in a Stocks and Shares ISA with one provider.
Withdrawals have no effect on subscription limits. Once you have invested the full subscription for the year, you cannot make additional investments, regardless of withdrawals made during the tax year or the balance of the account.
- All ISA investments will be and must remain in the beneficial ownership of the investor. Any rights in respect of your ISA may not be assigned and those rights may not be used as security for a loan.
- An ISA may not be transferred from one investor to another.
- You must be resident in the United Kingdom for tax purposes or, if not so resident, either perform duties which, by virtue of Section 28 of Income Tax (Earnings & Pensions) Act 2003 (Crown employees serving overseas), are treated as being performed in the United Kingdom, or you must be married to, or in a civil partnership with, a person who performs such duties. You must inform Newbury Building Society if you cease to be so resident or to perform such duties or be married to, or in a civil partnership with, a person who performs such duties.
- The start date for your ISA is the date of the first deposit.
- On the instructions of the investor and within the time stipulated by the investor (subject to a minimum period of 5 working days), an ISA with all rights and obligations shall be transferred to another ISA manager.
- The ISA must cease on the date of death of the investor. Interest will be paid gross up to and including the date of death. The account will be transferred into an interest bearing account in the names of the personal representatives. Interest arising after the date of death will be subject to deduction of income tax at the appropriate rate.
- You do not have to pay income tax on the interest paid in each of the years that you have your ISA provided all the ISA terms and conditions have been followed.
- If you do not subscribe (make any investments) to your ISA in any one tax year, under Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) rules, you will be required to complete a new application form should you wish to continue to invest in subsequent years.
- For a period of 30 days after opening your ISA, you may instruct us that you have changed your mind and we will return your deposit to you, subject to cheque clearance, with any accrued interest (tax will not be deducted). Alternatively, we can help you switch to another savings account with us (conditions allowing). The 30 day cancellation period starts on the day you open your Cash ISA and ends at close of business on the 30th calendar day. To cancel your ISA agreement with us, you can either visit or write to your local branch, enclosing your passbook. No administration charges will be made.
- Newbury Building Society will notify the investor if, by reason of failure to satisfy the provisions of the ISA regulations, an ISA has, or will, become void.
- Newbury Building Society will satisfy themselves that any person to whom it delegates any of its functions or responsibilities under the terms agreed with the investor is competent to carry out those functions and responsibilities.
is the contractual rate of interest payable where interest is exempt from income tax. AER
stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year.
WE HAVE NO CURRENT PLANS TO WITHDRAW THIS PRODUCT BUT IT MAY BE WITHDRAWN WITHOUT NOTICE